The Green Chain looks at the past, present and future of forestry through interviews with environmentalists, loggers, scientists and others. Raw log exports, environmental devastation, making a living . . . all are discussed in this exploration of the problems facing our forests, and the possible solutions.
It's an emotional topic, especially in British Columbia, where Greenpeace and the Raging Grannies were born but where the economy has been fuelled largely by forestry. Both the logging industry and the environmental movement are facing unprecedented challenges, and the world is watching to see how BC and Canada respond.
Mark discusses the topic with 22 eloquent, knowledgeable and passionate people, including:
- ForestEthics and PowerUP Canada founder Tzeporah Berman;
- activist Severn Cullis-Suzuki;
- author John Vaillant (The Golden Spruce);
- former Greenpeace executive and Greenspirit founder Dr. Patrick Moore;
- poet laureate and former logger George Bowering;
- Forest Products Association of Canada president and CEO Avrim Lazar;
- union spokesman Wade Fisher;
- documentary filmmaker Velcrow Ripper (Fierce Light).
The book also includes the screenplay for Leiren-Young's award-winning film The Green Chain.